Monday, May 25, 2009

Take a deep breath...


Finally, the semester is over. I enrolled in too many classes, in that I only had one day a week that was totally free. Not enough for this retired soul. The classes were all wonderful--Modern Dance, Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement, Textile History, Fabric Printing and Dyeing, and Beyond Traditional Watercolor. Speaking of which, I am posting herewith one of the projects from that class. Take an old painting that is unsatisfactory in one way or another, cut it up, and combine it with another old painting or a new background... So I cut up my koi painting. I liked the fish, so I cut them out first, then chopped the poured and swirled background into strips and wove them togther. Pasted it all onto another practice piece, and voila! Something I like!

In fact, I'm thinking of using this design as the basis for a small art quilt, and I can hardly wait to get started. So I'm taking a deep breath, and getting to work on the things I've been neglecting while dancing and dyeing.... More to come, I promise.

4 comments:

  1. this is pretty rad. i like how the fish are swimming threw the texture thingee. but i wish they had eyes more so to give them more of a soul just thought i'd throw that out there for your art quilt rendition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can see their eyes, kat needs glasses. ps i really like this, can't wait for the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Somehow I missed this posting - it would make a fabulous art quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it, too! It's very statisfying to cut up something that didn't work out and make something new and exciting from it. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete