Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Revisited

As I promised last time (my goodness, only a few days ago!) here is the inked version of the watercolor postcard I did in Montgomery Woods. I didn't apply the ink to the original watercolor, but used the printout I did onto watercolor paper cut to fit the printer. I printed the image 2-up, so I actually have another to play with. So here are the details: first I added ink lines with an EF point fountain pen, and Noodler's black ink. Then I got out the watercolor pencils and did some additional defining of shadowy areas. I think it's a lot more interesting than the plain watercolor, and still has a sketchy feel.

I like the idea of doing more of this kind of "mixed media" stuff. On another note, I had the opportunity yesterday to learn how and to operate a longarm quilting machine, working on a charity quilt some friends and I put together. What fun! And so fast compared to doing the quilting on a regular sewing machine! I am very pleased with the result, and with myself. As soon as the binding is on it, I'll take a picture and post it. That will take longer than the actual quilting!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Excellent work, Virginia!

    I find this drawing so peaceful
    and meditative.

    That foliage; those trees
    so verdant green,
    the interplay of light
    and shadow-the perfect
    forest alchemy.

    I like the depth you've managed to capture
    here, and the chunks of tree
    in the foreground which seem to yearn
    for the former wholeness
    they once shared.

    Cheers, Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug--thanks! Do you know that you are a poet? Such lovely words. That's how it was, there in the woods, the lovely interplay of light and shadow, and the "chunks of tree" yearning to be whole again....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah! Not surprising that this was going to be good, and it turns out really good! I really like the added details and tones, makes the whole part stands out with more depth. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoyed this...loved the pen & wc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your baby quilt, it's awesome. And this drawing is absolutely lovely. It reminds me os so many moments spent with my husband, while he wields his handy "man-saw" that I'm so afraid of! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete